Home to Pixley Park Development Committee. We have been serving Nelson Township, Portage County, Ohio since January 16, 2008. Our organization was created in order to build a park in our township for everyone to enjoy.
History of Pixley Park
By JoAnn (Pixley) Arambasick
In 1997 talks began between the Nelson trustees and Jay Pixley about property for a township park and maintenance building.
A township park for the use of the people of the community was the primary factor for the sale of 10.7 acres and donation of 12.6 acres by Mr. Pixley.
The land was once part of the Sweda farm. Mr. Paul Stanley was the next owner of the property and he put it up for sale, Jay Pixley purchased it in 1956. It was a natural acquisition as the property adjoined the existing Pixley farm.
On November 17, 2000, the trustees acquired the property and voted to name the property Pixley Park not only because of the donation of 12.6 acres, but also due to the fact that the Pixley family has resided in Nelson since before the Civil War.
The maintenance building has become a reality, and now the rest of the property can be developed as promised for the people of the community.
It has always been the dream of the Pixley family that the residents of the community have a place to gather, hike, play ball, hold children's activities, picnic and enjoy friendships in a community spirit at a township park.
Thanks to the Pixley Park Development Committee and the contributions of the citizens of the area, the park can become a place that all of us can enjoy.
We are always looking for new members.
Our meetings are held on the third Monday of each month, 6:30 PM
Call for location
Call (330) 719-2584 for details.